If you are having a serious sweet tooth and are craving something sweet, look no further this is the recipe for you! I am so excited to share these raw vegan date candy bars with you because they are so ridiculously simple and so amazingly satisfying.
They are ooey-gooey sweet carmel-ly candy bars that will satisfy even the worst of sweet tooths! Yet they have no added sugar, all natural healthy goodness! I love to make a lot of them and just freeze them so that I can pull them out when I want some. Dates don’t freeze so they’re perfect to eat after just minutes of taking them out of the freezer. These are a great snack to bring to work, pack in your kids lunch bags or throw in your purse when your on the run.
These date bars literally take less than five minutes to make and have only two ingredients! So super simple! No excuses not to eat healthy. Taste does not have to be sacrificed for healthy or for simple recipes. Dates have so many health benefits too. So don’t shy away from eating dates thinking they are just full of sugar, they are amazing for you and have simple sugars which are the perfect food for our cells. If you don’t have fresh dates in your area, you can always order them online here, they have great prices and the dates are fresh.
1 1/4 cup raw walnuts soaked for 6+ hours, drained and rinsed
12-15 medjool dates, pitted
(optional) 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Let the walnuts dry for several hours before doing the first step otherwise it becomes mushy.
1) Grind 1 cup walnuts into a coarse to fine powder using a coffee bean grinder.
2) Chop into large chunks the rest of the walnuts.
3) Mash the dates into a ball of gooey “dough”. I used a mortar and pestle or you could blend them in a blender or food processor.
4) Mix all the above together in a bowl by hand until it is well mixed ball of dough.
5) Roll the dough into a long Tootsie roll form. Cut it into several pieces. Shape into medium size bars. Freeze for a bout 45 minutes.
Optional toppings for date bars: Carob powder, cinnamon, almond slivers, sesame seeds, shredded coconut. Add these before freezing.