As much as I love to make luscious fruit smoothies, there is something about fresh made juice that I simply cannot get enough of. Lately my morning routine has been: wake up, drink a couple of glasses of water, after about an hour drink 32 ounces or more of fresh juice. I feel my best when I follow this routine because I feel light and energetic ready to start my day. Drinking at least 32 ounces holds me over for quite a while and of course I always have fresh fruit with me at work as my snack.
When drinking juice it is important to drink it slow and chew it instead of just gulping it down. That may sound strange being that juice does not need to be chewed. But, the reason is that “chewing” it helps it to mix in with the saliva which contains an enzyme called ptyalin. This enzyme helps digest carbohydrates and it begins the process in the mouth. So if this step is missed it delivers the food to our stomach having started the digestive process.
Good digestion equals good health. That is one reason why you feel so good after drinking fresh juice. It is basically predigested so there is very little work for the body to do. So, you get a quick boost of powerful nutrients for your body to utilize but with very little work involved for the digestive system.
This particular juice is sweet, salty and tangy. On a hot summer day fill your glass with ice cubes and pour this over and it makes such a refreshing pleasurable drink.
4 pink lady apples
1 lime, peeled
1 small handful of basil (about 10 leaves)
2 celery stems
Put all the above ingredients through a juicer and pour into a glass.
Interesting health facts about basil:
– Basil leaves are an excellent source of iron.
– Basil is also rich in beta-carotene and other carotenoids, powerful antioxidants that protect your body from free radical damage associated with aging, some skin ailments and most forms of cancers.
– Basil has antibacterial properties, in fact it has been shown to stop the growth of many bacteria even some that had grown resistant to other antibiotics. The leaves can even be used to disinfect surfaces.
– Basil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help combat bowel inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis.
– Basil has powerful antioxidant properties that can protect against premature aging, and even some types of cancers